Tuesday, June 2, 2015

PAINTED UNION JACK

Rule Britania !


Britania rules my door....................
A door seemed the perfect dimensions for a flag

TURN A DOOR INTO A FLAG

The one thing I'll say about this house is that I love the doors................which had been previously covered up in veneers to make them look like standard hollows builder grade doors - complete with a sheet of plastic faux tiffany - once we discovered that fact and removed all the veneer we were left with beautiful craftman's style doors !  You can see that post HERE


Except in the mudroom off the kitchen..................where a hollow door sat by itself ( it was probably the model they used to make them all look like that ! )
It has a sheet of steel on the inside of it - so I didn't want to change it out - and besides it's only a mudroom
I really didn't want to spend any money on a door for such a lowly room lol

And with John being from across the pond it seemed like a great solution to turn it into a flag and honor his homeland ( and him ) in a small way..................like a flag that leads down to the cellar lol - but seriously I did it for him!


I kind of work free hand on Union Jacks - with tape of course..............
I used Behr Porch and Pation paint for durability - ( and because I had them on hand )
I went with roughly 10 inch wide stripes for the above section


and half of that for the angled stripes ( please don't look too closely - like I said it's sort of free hand so one side may or may not be slightly off lol )

Than I added the center stripes...................


For this next shot - you need to know that this is a step down from the mud room - a tiny little landing - with the cellar door ( union jack ) facing the door to go out to the back yard.
I had to lock the back door ( John was outside ) and lay on the floor to take the shot - but I'm taller than the length of the landing - and my knees got in the way of the photo -
So................there I was laying on the floor - with my legs splayed up in the air on either side of me - snapping away - you know, like a professional LMHO
and I hear this choking sound outside the door
John was watching me from the back door..................roaring - and I mean ROARING

John yells - I need a camera for this -
John says - Why don't you show everyone what you look like laying there with your legs up in the air?

He had tears in his eyes..................
It almost made me want to paint over the Union Jack................ingrate !
Except I ended up laughing my head off too - while Soda just sat there with her head cocked.

Anyways.................I got the shot !


The last stripes to go on were the smallest ones - and those I didn't even bother " roughly " measuring - just taped it off by eyeballing it - I did, however, make sure to put them on the right angles !

It's kind of a fun touch and John LOVES it - except every time he looks at me he bursts out laughing.
I personally think it stopped being funny after I crawled up off of the floor.

But doesn't it kind of turn a door into a piece of furniture?


On to the next project !

John's been whistling Rule Britania ! since yesterday

Have a wonderful day everyone
Keep calm..................& paint something :)
Love,
Me



LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES!

ELIZABETH & CO.                                              THE DIY DREAMER
FLUSTER BUSTER                                                      SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE
MY SALVAGED TREASURES                                   FROM MY FRONT PORCH TO YOURS
THE UPTOWN ACORN                                             ORGANIZED 31
ANDERSON & GRANT                                      POSED PERFECTION
FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE                               THE SHABBY ART BOUTIQUE
MY TURN FOR US                                                     MY ROMANTIC HOME
THE SHABBY NEST                                                   REMODELAHOLIC
GIGGLES GALORE                                                     THE GIRL CREATIVE
FUNKY JUNK INTERIORS                                        VINTAGE PAINT & MORE
LIFE ON LAKESHORE DRIVE                                   IT'S OVERFLOWING
THE DIY SHOWOFF                                                   I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR
DWELLINGS THE HEART OF YOUR HOME           THAT'S WHAT CHE SAID
ART IS BEAUTY                                                          BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH
COASTAL CHARM                                                     CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT
MY UNCOMMON SLICE OF SUBURBIA                YESTERFOOD - TREASURE BOX TUESDAY
AN EXTRAORDINARY DAY                                     KATHE WITH AN E
HOMESTORIES A TO Z                                             HOMESTORIES A TO Z
THE WINTHROP CHRONICLES                               CRAFTBERRY BUSH

52 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that visual!! I would have done the same thing, so I can just imagine the image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous. I agree with John, I would have liked to see a photo of you taking that photo! My mother used to sing "Rule Britannia" all the time when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! I never would have thought to do a door. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Tabatha !
      The door was awful looking or I would never have thought of it myself :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Okay, I'll say it. "Legs up in the air" is John's "get back at you" for your comments a few days ago about a man having to go underneath a skirt to get a screw...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your door turned out great...but I am over here laughing!!
    hugs,
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it looks great! Just great---too bad you had to humiliate yourself to take the picture though, Suzan! lol Lord love ya- I can just picture you doing that! I do hope you had pants on and not that nightgown you usually paint in! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love anything Union Jack. In fact, I'm hosting a surprise party for my BFF on Saturday and it's a Union Jack theme. Painting a tablecloth tonight as a matter of fact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather !
      Quick - paint one of your doors before Saturday LOL !!!
      Bet it will be a spectacular party :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. It's awesome Suzan...truly! And a door does seem perfect to paint a flag on! I love it. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suzan = you are an absolute hoot . I am visioning the site that John saw and although I am not there I could just see it and am still laughing; Yes Britannia rules the waves allright. I love the flag painting. Betty from Wasaga Beach, Ontario.


    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thanks Betty ! Try not to picture it or you'll have nightmares LOL!
      Thanks SO much !
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Oh now do I ever love this door! Wow. It looks amazing. I can't imagine they covered up those doors with the veneer and the 'stained' glass! I'm glad you discovered the secret beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You actually said you were honoring your husband. AWWWW! I hope he noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did - he loves it Teri !!!
      Thanks so much :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. What a cool idea! I wish we had flat doors so I could do this in our boys bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I am going to repeat myself, but I LOVE IT! How do you get these ideas? I think I'm being creative if I buy a different toothpaste! Unbelievably creative 🌟. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a funny story! You did such a great job, this can be a really difficult pattern to get right. Thanks for sharing your door at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative, Suzan...I would never have thought of doing this. Now I am looking at MY doors lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, what a riot!! The door looks awesome and you lying on the floor to get the shot is just what us bloggers do:):) Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Suzan
    I've been dying to paint a Union Jack on something, I just hadn't thought of doing a door!
    Yours turned out fabulous. Is it the gray colour it appears to be?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This flag door is fabulous! What a great idea! I'd love for you to share it at my Creative Ways Link Party that's live right now. Hope to see you there.
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Union Jack Suzan. You are one creative lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or one desperate one LOL
      Thanks SO much !
      xox

      Delete
  20. Love this! What a great idea to take a door from drab to fab!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is brilliant! I love this idea-you did a great job.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's one project John must be happy about!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Suzan, what we don't do to get that 'perfect' shot! lol! I love the look. You did a fabulous job! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea...love it... Thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time...xoxoTammy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this. My niece painted her dresser with Union Jack. You're funny too! I'm going out to paint a globe today ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary Beth !!!
      I've painted quite a few UJ dressers - it was time for a door LOL
      XOXO

      Delete
  26. Wow! Such a great idea and it looks fantastic!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it!!!!!! Turned out wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your flag door and as a UK person myself think it's a great idea. I love the trouble you went to for that shot, I am picturing what you did and just want to say "The whole of the UK appreciates what you went through for us"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well being in Canada I AM your most loyal subject after all LMHO
      Thanks so much Julia !
      xox

      Delete
  29. This is awesome! Paint is so great for making a big impact, and this really does. I found you from over at the Home & Garden Group link party, thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea for sprucing up the plain door! I can't believe anyone would have covered up your other beautiful doors to make them look plain....crazy!!!! Love how you've made everything look fresh and stylish. Jamie | anderson + grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie !
      I couldn't believe it those doors were covered up either - mind boggling !
      xox

      Delete
  31. The door looks awesome, Suzy! I was laughing just thinking about what a blogger will do to get a photo, and then more to hear that John was observing the antics! What a score uncovering those Craftsman doors.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your doors are so beautiful! The union jack one? Perfection! Makes me want flat doors! :) Featured you this weekend on Party Junk!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such an incredible door design Suzan. Bravo! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  34. well this is just pretty dang awesome! Saw this featured on Funky Junk tonight and was like SUZAN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so awesome! I would have never in a million years even thought to put this on a door. So cool! Thanks so much for linking this to the Something to Talk About Link Party. It's going to be one of my features tomorrow!. Hope you're weekend has been a fantastic one, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Coco !!!
      What a thrill - see you tomorrow !
      Hope your weekend's been wonderful too
      xoxo

      Delete
  36. I love this! It's one of my features at Treasure Box Tuesday tonight! Thank you for partying with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo