Monday, November 14, 2011

Words to live by.................

I was reading an interview with Brad Pitt - and these words struck at me somewhere deep inside

 "I think happiness is overrated, truthfully. I do," he says. "I think sometimes you're happy, sometimes you're not. There's too much pressure to be happy. I don't know. I don't really give a sh--. I know I will be at times and I know I won't be at times. Satisfied, at peace, those would be more goals for myself."

And just like that, the pressure is off..............he hit it right on the nail did good old Brad, there is far too
much pressure to be happy,
Where does that come from?  I don't think our parents had that kind of pressure ( remember you are
reading the blog of a 52 year old woman, lol ) they lived their lives day to day and it was what it was
and yet somehow my generation is on this constant whirlwind of non stop activity trying to prove I don't
know what to the world -  to our contempories - and worse to ourselves.

Look at me - I can do cartwheels - while working - while raising kids - while washingcleaningdecoratingentertaining - I don't require much sleep at all.
I am a superhumanbeing - AND I am always happy happy happy.  My life is wonderful,

Guess what?
He's right,
It isn't always so wonderful..................there's a lot of second guessing decisions - there's
a lot of secrets buried deep in the heart - there's a lot of regrets - there's a lot of pain we
experience trudging along the roads of life and harder still there's a lot of pain we witness
that we cannot do anything about except let it leave it's footprint on our soul.  Our souls
take beatings constantly until it sometimes feels that we cannot bear to absorb hearing another
story from around the globe - the continent - the country - the city - our own neighborhoods.

And then. the miraculous happens -
And we are happy - maybe the secret is embracing the happy moments a little tighter
and realizing that they are not a given at all, but a gift -
Maybe instead of dancing as fast as we can - we should save the dances for when they
matter the most.
Maybe it's ok to not be smiling 24 hours a day -
and maybe, just maybe, it's perfectly OK to say " I don't feel so happy right now "
without that twinge of guilt we feel for even uttering those words.

In a society where we have to label everything as a disorder -
maybe we should just accept that there are goods days and bad days, period and stop
worrying secretly that we are bipolar - 

Instead of worrying that I have a problem with having to have everything organized -
and that I have OCD - I am going to embrace the fact that I can now compartmentalize
my days -
There are good ones and bad one
Happy ones and not so happy ones - and sometimes even heartbreaking ones
Days when I want to dance and yes maybe even do a cartwheel - but days
when I just want to stay in my pajamas and feel sorry for myself if I want to
And the secret is now officially out - sometimes I want to do just that.

Thanks Brad,

Happy day to all,
( and if it isn't a happy day for you than that's ok too )

xxx

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Better After (congratulations on the feature by the way) and scrolled through the whole thing. I love your work and discovered we are fellow Montrealers. I recently started painting furniture (long story) and your blog is totally inspirational.

    I didn't find an email address on the blog, but I was wondering where you got your ASCP? You can email me at jazzzblog at gmail if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and yes, that is 3 Zs...

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo